Tuesday, September 22, 2026

That Converse Ad

In case you've been living in a cave, I'll summarize.  Converse shoes had an ad which many black people took as a KKK reference.  The lighting effects created a "pointed hood" and a pair of dangling shoes looked like a lynching. 

Well, it turns out that the picture was part of a series.  Maybe even a video, I'm not sure.  The young woman pictured is a K-Pop celebrity.  She's wearing a white dress and standing on a simple five pointed star. (I think the intended result of that specific lighting angle was to give the star a 3-D effect.) Seeing the context, I realize this.  

But it does not change the fact that my initial reaction upon seeing the image was "someone hung themselves".  I did not realize until I looked closer that the shoes were dangling from her hand.  So yes, that single image triggered me. I took a closer look and realized that the shoes are dangling from a girl's hand.  

I don't think Converse is guilty of promoting racism or suicide.  At least not on purpose.  

But that does not mean the people who saw that as a violent image are wrong.  Art is subjective. I saw something reflecting my fears.  Blacks saw something that evoked their own collective trauma.  The shadows, I think, took our minds into a negative place.  There's something haunting about that image even once I have the context.





No comments:

Post a Comment