Thursday, March 26, 2020

Social Isolation With The Demon

Most of my routine has remained the same during the pandemic.  The biggest difference is that The Boy isn't coming over to torture my dolls and kill me 78 times in half an hour (Call of Duty).  I don't normally go out.  I do most of my socializing on-line. 

A lot of my friends are working from home.  They're spending the entire day in their jammies and, frankly, I'm jealous.  It's not that I want to binge watch my show in my nightshirt, it's that I wish I could trust myself to do so.  For me, it could indicate a depressive episode. 

My first thought is of a reformed alcoholic at a party, watching the others enjoy something he simply can't trust himself to do.  He knows that even stepping foot on that proverbial path is a very bad idea.  It's not a perfect analogy, but I think it's pretty close.  Addiction is a mental illness, after all.

I'm not sharing this to make y'all feel bad.  The thought just struck me when I was in a philosophic mood.  How many of my indulgences are something that others can't allow for themselves?  Anyway, everyone, stay safe as possible.  Make the best of things.  We'll get through this and maybe we'll be better for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment