Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Owning My Weakness

That meme is going around again.  The one that says people suffering from Depression are not weak. What's so wrong with being weak, anyway?  The thin crust of ice that forms on a puddle is weak, but it is beautiful.  Everyone has a weakness.  We can all learn to work with our weakness, to compensate for our weakness.  It's rather like an architect putting arches in to strengthen a cathedral ceiling.  Which is - what's the word - oh, yeah, beautiful.

We don't see memes that say "people with diabetes are not weak".  Why is Depression any different?  I think it's because of ignorance.  The old chestnut about every one gets depressed - OK, next time you catch a cold, just put on more clothes.  Everyone gets cold.  Mental illness cannot be willed away any more than physical illness can.  Who would claim that a chronic physical illness is something we fake for attention?

My specific diagnosis is Dysthymia - a Depressive disorder.  One of the problems caused by this weakness is poor memory.  I've learned to write things down and to use mnemonics.   I'm too weak emotionally to have a healthy romantic relationship, so I don't date.  I accept my weakness, I built around it, and focus on my strengths.

Most mental illness is caused by a combination of brain chemistry and past events.  I'm not going to get into the details of my own case.  It is sufficient to say it runs in my family and it doesn't just manifest as Depression.  A lot of mental illnesses share symptoms with, or are diagnosed right alongside, Depression.  Sometimes Depression is a symptom.

You cannot understand a person's illness unless you have suffered from it yourself - and even then, there is a limit to how much you can understand.  I've known lots of addicts and cancer patients. I've known other Dysthymics. But I can only identify with them for part of the struggle because it's different for everyone.

Speaking as a person with Depression...  Yes, I am weak.  But I own it.

No comments:

Post a Comment