Saturday, November 25, 2023

My Trigger, My Problem

I broke my own rule this week.  I've often said that I am responsible for how I react to things and I should not expect the world to tiptoe around me.   

That's not to say my family and friends are perfect.  I know the problem isn't always me, but why get mad at Bob for acting like Bob?  Which is what I did.  Instead of taking a mental step back, instead of discussing my hurt calmly, I yelled and stomped away.  Been mad at myself ever since. 

I'm a bit confused about what exactly a trigger is, psychologically speaking.  Google says it's anything that negatively affects your emotional state.  Maybe I'm showing my age - I was diagnosed and did most of my research back when dinosaurs roamed the earth - but in my mind,  a trigger isn't something that makes you uncomfortable.  It's something that makes you think you are in actual physical danger. 

But I'll accept that things have changed.  If my usual feeling of inadequacy gets inflamed, I suppose that is a trigger. I won't, however, change my opinion on who is responsible for it.  I should have walked away and calmed myself, maybe even had a good cry.  What I should  not have done was verbally attack the poor guy for asking a question.  

BTW:  "Bob" accepted my apology.  





No comments:

Post a Comment