Sunday, August 18, 2013

130

We've been trying to get fit in our house, and it ain't been easy.  Santa brought us Wii Fit a couple years ago and we went mad with it for a while, I got down under 200 pounds, a weight I've not seen in many years.  Then the Wii Fit was no longer so new and fun.  I hate taking a walk just to be taking a walk - I like to have a destination in mind.  (And no, skinny doesn't count as a destination.)  In decent weather, I'm more than willing to walk my errands. I hate driving, anyway, and it's better for both me and the planet.  But to walk my errands meant taking the brat along a major highway.

We've been taking Family Walks in the evenings.  Thinking of it as family time seems to negate my aversion to not having a destination.  The brat is almost nine years old and generally rides his bike, leaving us pokey adults in his wake, but he knows now how to avoid getting splatted.  The route we take is roughly three miles.  THREE MILES!  No wonder my legs hurt!

After we got the Wii Fit and I lost weight, I felt a lot better.  I could bring the trash cans up from the foot of the driveway without sounding like Darth Vader...  well, in the lazy period between, I started puffing again. With these walks, I'm getting back to almost breathing normally.  I have more energy and just generally feel better.  With school starting back up, I'll be walking him to and from (at least until it's too cold), and trying to work the Wii Fit back into my daily routine.

I've always loved my fruits and veggies, so the only thing stopping me from snacking well is the fact that a Kit Kat is cheaper than a kiwi.  I've always liked fish and poultry better than red meat, too, so that's a plus.  I think the biggest obstacle is simply inertia.  Once I get moving, I'm good, but there are days it's all I can do to get out of bed.  Many days I just go through the motions of my chores and then plop down with my computer.

The computer is not gonna help me get into shape.  It helps fight off The Demon and keeps my creative juices flowing, but it isn't gonna do much for my physical health.  I don't want to be so fat that pulling my weight on a bike makes my knees ache for hours.  I don't wanna be winded after checking the mail.  It's no secret I've been suicidal and that I'm frequently depressed, but most of the time I want to live into my nineties.

Back in the day, I weighted 130 pounds and thought I was fat.  Now the doctors tell me 130 is a good ideal weight for me.  Maybe I should find an old photo of me in those days - healthy, fit, active - and attach it not to the fridge door but to the computer.  Make myself a rule... no writing, no Internet, until I've had at least my half-hour of exercise.

2 comments:

  1. I have that picture of you in your bra.....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You not driving is also beneficial to pedestrians, other drivers, children in general, hermits who live 3 miles from any paved surface, et cetera. lol

    One tip I can give you (and my point of what you call making fun of you) while you exercise: do not go stagnant. Early on, you (that's the royal you) half-ass exercises you can't do because of your body's inabilities, which is fine. But as you go on, your abilities improve and so should your exercise. Don't get stuck in a rut by convincing yourself that you can't do whatever because you will hurt your ankles.

    Also - don't set a goal too high (or too low, in this case) because it is discouraging. 70 pounds is a lot of weight to lose.

    And I will add as a sidebar that you are the adult in our household which weighs the least, yet your nickname is "Fat." Hilarious. :D

    ReplyDelete